Blog Report

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Man Inhales Solvent, Home Catches Fire

Via The Record in New Jersey

A man’s home caught fire after he inhaled a volatile solvent from aerosol cans. He was rescued by a police officer who also carried his pets to safety. “The levels of the solvent — identified by police as heptane ether, a flammable solvent commonly used as starter fluid for gasoline and diesel engines — were so high the house was condemned by the building department.”

The danger was discovered when the homeowner’s wife had arrived home called police to report a strange odor in the house then waited outside for the police to arrive. The officer had to be hospitalized for his injuries and placed off-duty. The homeowner was also hospitalized and charged with disorderly conduct and being under the influence of an inhalant.

No comments: