Via the Crime Library (case from Australia):
On December 18, 2013 a neighbor told police she heard an explosion, ran outside and found a disheveled man with a completely burned off beard sitting on her patio demanding food. When police arrived the man admitted he had entered the shed with a lit cigarette while sniffing gas when the fire started. He was charged with arson and unlawfully entering the shed. This past week at the preliminary hearing the man's attorney argued for a lesser charge of negligence.