Blog Report

Monday, August 25, 2014

Inhalant Abuse in Fayetteville Arkansas

Via the NWA Online in Arkansas:

The woman was found "face down, legs crossed, her body as still as the water pooled around her."  Two cans of computer duster were in her lap and a third can floated not far away. A receipt in her purse revealed she had bought the cans that afternoon. The state crime lab reported her cause of death as difluoroethane toxicity and drowning. Twelve days later, another Fayetteville woman died after huffing computer dusters in a hotel bathroom.

The article notes that in Arkansas, according to statute 5-60-116, it is a class B misdemeanor to huff products to achieve a condition of intoxication and that the state bans the possession and distribution of nitrous oxide.  Additionally, in Arkansas, 6.1 percent of eight-graders reported using inhalants in 2009 compared to the national average of 3.8 percent.

No comments: