Blog Report

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Teen remains hospitalized after huffing incident

On Thursday, June 19th, two South Dakota teens were ingesting compressed air from a computer keyboard cleaning product, trying to get a high from the chemical vapors. One girl was taken to a Sioux Falls hospital and remained there as of Monday afternoon. Her condition is still not known. The other girl did not require medical treatment, and is being questioned about other details surrounding the case, including if there were others involved in the incident.

Police Chief Art Mabry says that the abuse of inhalants (huffing) is nothing new in Vermillion, South Dakota. “We have seen it for a couple of years, but it’s a little worse now.”

Many of the teens that abuse household products don’t realize that every time they use, they risk brain and organ damage or even death. Inhalants are popular because they are readily accessible, cheap and legal, but children need to be educated on the dangers of these products when they are used incorrectly.

No comments: