The National Institute on Drug Abuse is holding the third annual National Drug Facts Week from January 27 to February 2, 2014 with the aim of helping shatter the myths about drug use for teens.
Help ACE use this week to share the facts and dispel the myths regarding inhalant abuse!
Approximately 2.5 million children ages 12-17 use inhalants each year. 59% of kids at age 12 are already aware of their friends huffing. With the average age that some kids start using inhalants at 10 years old, it is crucial to reach these youth with the proper facts and information.
Further test your knowledge of inhalant abuse facts and myths by taking the ACE Inhalant Abuse Quiz.
Download resources to help you talk to students and parents about inhalant abuse: http://www.inhalant.org/resources/
Be a part of the conversation! Share or post these facts:
- Jan 27- Feb 2 is #NationalDrugFactsWeek join us as we share a fact a day to help shatter the myths of inhalant abuse! @NIDAnews #inhalants
- Did you know that approximately 2.5 million children ages 12-17 use inhalants each year? #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- The average age that some kids start using inhalants is 10 years old #educatethemearly #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- Did you know that 59% of kids at age 12 are aware of their friends huffing? #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- Liver and kidney damage are serious long-term effects of inhalant abuse #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- Inhalant abuse is deliberately sniffing fumes or gases from common household products #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- Did you know people can die the very first time they use inhalants, known as Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome? #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
- Commonly abused products are adhesives/glue, aerosol products, cleaning agents, gases/chemicals, and food products #drugfacts #inhalants
- Inhalants are the fourth most abused substance after alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana #drugfacts #NDFW #inhalants
For more information regarding National Drug Facts Week, visit the website http://drugfactsweek.drugabuse.gov/