Blog Report

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lawsuit Filed After Son Dies at Youth Center

From 2 The Advocate in Baton Rouge, Louisiana:

The mother of a 20 year-old man “who died at the state-operated Center for Youth in 2008 filed a federal lawsuit last week alleging the state was negligent in her son’s death.”

Her son died on Feb 15, 2008 after “inhaling from an aerosol can while he was in a welding class.” The lawsuit lists the inhalant as “some type of a commercial solvent commonly used in metal and welding shops and is otherwise known as trichloroethylene.”

His death was ruled as accidental and the coroner’s report stated that his death was “probably caused by cardiac arrhythmia due to inhalation of the aerosol.”

His mom notes, “Andy had a history of inhaling. In fact, that’s part of the reason why he was (there)." She continued, “Even with that knowledge, they put him in a welding class and provided him with an inhalant.”

No comments: