Blog Report

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

17 Year-Old Dies After Huffing Refrigerant

From WFMY News 2 in Greensboro, NC

Earlier this month on February 6th, a 17 year-old female died from huffing refrigerant released from an air conditioner. She was found unresponsive at an apartment complex in Lexington.

Her parents are now speaking out because “they don't want another teen to make the same mistake their daughter made.”

The local police department is also working to alert parents to the issue as well. Captain Tad Kepley states, “We're hoping that we can get the message out that this is dangerous if you know of someone that is huffing refrigerant please get them to stop before someone else is tragically killed.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 14 years old and I got arrest for huffing freon. Total bags of freon that I've inhalded is about, 50-80. I guess I was just a lucky one. Don't do it. I'm on probation for it now. Stupidest thing to ever do.

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous-

Thank you for sharing your story. This is definitely something more teens need to know. If you get a free minute, please check-out our message board to share your story here too. We have both parents and teens commenting so your voice would add a lot to the discussion.

http://messageboard.inhalant.org/tool/mb/inhalant

Anonymous said...

I lost my 18 year old son this month from this deadly addiction. I do not think people understand the danger because it is easy to get and not classified as a drug. Believe me when I say this is very dangerous and will take your life. It may not the 1st time may not the 30th but the odds are really against you. More parents need to know about this.

Unknown said...

We just received this comment via e-mail with a request that it be posted to the blog. Please let us know if you would like to contact Janna directly.


I am so sorry to hear of your tragic loss. There are far too many deaths of loved ones to inhalant abuse, and our hearts collectively ache when others are catapulted into dealing with this horrible reality. Nothing is worse than losing a child - no matter what age. The pain is so horrifically intense the first few years. I will hold you close to my heart on your journey of grief. The hole left will never close, but over time one learns to live with it.

Janna Zuber

Anonymous said...

I just lost a very close friend 2 days ago to this very thing. He was found unresponsive next to an a/c unit. Unlike most, he was not a teen, but 35. He had been in and out of rehab for the past 6 months trying to beat this addiction. There really needs to be more help, awareness and information distributed about this deadly addiction. It is truly sad! :(