Blog Report

Monday, May 12, 2008

Refrigerant Abuse in Canyon Lake

The Friday Flier printed a letter to the editor on May 2nd from Laurie Saumers, who submitted this piece "in an effort to help get the word out to all parents and residents in our local community[Canyon Lake, CA]".
"Huffing refrigerant is the new and latest high for our children. “Refrigerant?” you’re asking – at least that’s what we asked!

Here is what I learned. Our young children are huffing refrigerant from air conditioners through our community. Apparently this is a cheap and easy high for them, but one that is lethal and will kill. It has killed in the past and will continue too kill until we put a stop to it. This has become the choice drug for children ages 8 to 15, but not limited. They have easy access and it cannot be traced through blood testing.

This was brought to my attention just recently by a gentleman who actually brought his young son who was high on refrigerant to my house late one evening to inform me that my son showed his son how to do this. My first reaction was, “Not my son.” After two days of looking into this, contacting the authorities and the POA [Property Owners Association], many tears later my husband and I are here to say, “Yes our son, yes your son and yes their son.”

Yes, this behavior is out there and happening everyday in our neighborhoods. It’s easy, our air conditioners are right there and, to be honest, who would think someone would steal your refrigerant – but they are! Please watch for this, it could be one child, or even a group them. If they are near your air conditioner they are probably up to no good.

This type of high is very habit forming and very deadly; it has no prejudice, it will take all who is willing. Please talk with your children, know their friends. Make it your business to know who is hanging around your house and neighborhood. I have
always known my son’s friend and their parents. My husband and I can tell you
that, if we had been a little more proactive watching the neighborhood, we would
not be going through this! We love our son, we love your sons; this needs to
stop.

The local authorities are aware this is going on and so is the POA. I will be contacting the local elementary, middle and high schools. We also need your help."

Another resident of Canyon Lake, Charlene Kussner, responded to the letter in the next week's Flyer:

"I wanted to thank Laurie Saumers for her letter to the editor about huffing refrigerant. As a parent of two boys in Canyon Lake, I appreciate her honesty and forthrightness in addressing this issue. We are a community and it does, indeed, take a "village" sometimes to protect our children.

With her candid letter, other parents are now aware of this problem and we can all be vigilant in protecting our young people. Mother to mother – thank you, Laurie!"

No comments: