Via WTOPradio in Virginia:
The results of the 2012 Fairfax County Youth Survey have been released and they have revealed that inhalant abuse in Fairfax County is above the national average.
- 2.9 percent of Fairfax County students reported having used inhalants within the past month, compared to the 1.7 percent national average.
- The 2.9 percent is less than the 3.9 percent reported in 2010 but an INCREASE from the 2.5 percent reported in 2011.
- Inhalants were the only substances with higher rates of usage by Fairfax County's 8th grade students (5%) than 12th grade students (1.4%).
- Inhalants were the second most frequently used substance by 8th graders after alcohol.
- Girls (3.1%) report a higher use than boys (2.7%)