Fairfax County's 2009 Youth Survey results revealed that while drug use tends to be on the decline in the county, "younger students tend to use inhalants rather than other drugs."
The article also points out that:
- Inhalant use for students in eighth, 10th and 12th grades is slightly above the national average in the past 30 days, with 3.3% reporting recent use
- Inhalant use is the second most common drug behavior for eighth-graders in the county
- Among all students surveyed, 10.3% reported ever using inhalants
- Unlike other substances, abuse of inhalants decreases with age
- 5.4% of eighth-graders used inhalants in the previous 30 days, only 1.8 percent of 12th-graders reported using them.
- Inhalant use seems to be on the rise among eighth-grade students.
- While 7.8 percent of 12th-graders and 9.7 percent of 11th-graders report ever trying inhalants, 13.4 percent of eighth-graders have.
- The majority of respondents across demographics, however, reported using inhalants only once or twice.