Monday, September 17, 2012

14 Year Old Dies After Huffing Butane

Via the Times of Malta:


Police suspect inhaling lighter fluid led to the death of a 14 year old girl last Friday. The girl “fainted and died of cardiac arrest” but toxicology tests will confirm whether her death was “triggered by inhaling butane gas emitted by the lighter refill can.”

Reports state that the girl and her friend were huffing the inhalant on the roof when she fainted. Her friend started shouting and the girl’s mother responded and called an ambulance. The girl died shortly afterwards.

The article references the The 2011 European School Survey Project on Alcohol and Other Drugs (ESPAD) which revealed that 14% of Fifth Form students used inhalants to get high, a sharp increase from the 9% recorded in 2007.

A memorial page has been set up on Facebook and can be accessed here:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my 14 yr old son is in hospitsl now on life support due to huffing butane and air freshner.

ACE News said...

We are very sorry and our thoughts are with you, your family, and your son. Please reach out to us, Alliance for Consumer Education (ACE), at info@consumered.org. We would be more than happy to put you in touch with parents who have gone through similiar situations and help you in any way possible. Again, you are in our thoughts. -ACE