This past Wednesday a memorial service was held at the home of a 12 year old girl who died after huffing inhalants.
Sierrah Yarbrough was “found in her bed on Sunday, where she had apparently been inhaling aerosol hair spray. Found by her sister, emergency crews were summoned and Sierrah was taken to Columbia for medical care. She failed to regain consciousness, according to the source, and died on Wednesday.”
The community was deeply saddened by the loss of Sierrah. Some of their emotional concerns follow below:
- "We’re failing our kids"
- “She learned huffing from somewhere. It was a common can of hair spray. She inhaled so much her brain started to die.”
- "As a mother of teens myself, my ears have always been to the ground. Now my eyes are definitely more open."
- “She was a very special girl, the kids hung out together, watched the flood water, and just walked around and played. If I’d known what she was doing, I would have done something. My 11-year-old doesn’t understand why Sierrah died."
- “The community needs to be aware. An EMT told me this is a real problem in the school."
Help us reach more communities before it's too late. Visit our website http://www.inhalant.org/ and download the necessary materials to talk with your children about this issue.